The article brings you to increase your passion about notes on exploratory software testing. This is my second session on exploratory testing.
Notes on exploratory software testing
Following Factors effecting exploratory testing as:
- The objective of the project or module
- Complete testing strategy
- Testing goal for all the phases
- Available tools like functional or performance and facilities
- Testers role and skill sets
- Available duration
- Organization management support
- Peer and team support
- Available resources (study notes, test conditions, test data etc)
- Client interest
- Understandability of the product or application
- User Interface of the application
- Complete functionalities of the application
- Previous test results and status
- Risks associated with the project
- Previous defects
- Recent enhancements or changes
- Types of test data to use for testing
- Leave it to tester’s judgment to decide what they want to test and how they want to test.
Some special side of exploratory testing
- Require multiple skills – The testers who having a good listening, reading, thinking and reporting skills. The testers need to be very rigorous and effective. Experience should be require as there will be no scripts and test cases are provided.
- Sometimes difficult to report a bug – Many a times it happens that we do a certain navigations and suddenly encounter but there is inconsistency and we could not reproduce that. This is because we are not tracking the steps of the testing and it slips from our mind that what we have done to get that defect.
- Can be done as recreation activity – Every day I do ET and also want a break from my regular testing and test case execution. However this is just a perception. I have seen many teams who have ET as a separate phase of their testing activities.
- Exploratory testing can be done for every phase – You can implement ET before the beginning of any testing phase. For example, you are in the start of functional testing phase, so before commencing on it, do an ET.
- Rapid feedback – Exploratory testing requires rapid feedback on the issues faced and for any inconsistencies encountered.
- Critical Thinking and diverse ideas – Exploratory testing requires critical thinking. Testers should be able to reproduce, review and express their ideas in a logical way, also in other tester should think destructive way.
- Previous Experiences: You can use your previous domain experience in current project for example if you worked previously on invoice module and currently you are working with different project but work with invoice module, so it will easy to track financial scenarios.
Based on above Notes on exploratory software testing, you will have to good start with ET.
Soon I will publish my next session on Exploratory Testing