Here you will see more details on compatibility Testing, it helps you to increase your understanding about various compatibility testing, also I used the same in my practical experience.
This is very challenging work to test web applications on different segments or modes.
More details about Compatibility Testing
Browser compatibility testing:
Some applications are very on browsers dependent. Different browsers have different configurations and settings that your web page should be compatible with like Internet explorer, Google chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera. Your web site coding should be cross browser platform compatible. If you are using java scripts for UI functionality, performing security checks or validations then give more stress on browser compatibility testing of web site application
Operating system compatibility testing:
Some functionality in web application is may not be compatible with all operating systems. All new technologies used in web application development like graphics designs, interface calls like different API’s may not be available in all Operating Systems.
Test your web application on different operating systems like Windows, Unix, MAC, Linux, Solaris.
Mobile browsing testing:
This is new technology era. So now a days Mobile browsing is in boom. Test your web pages on mobile browsers. Compatibility issues may be there on mobile.
Printing options testing:
If you are giving page printing options then make sure that fonts, page alignment, page graphics getting printed properly. Pages should be fit to paper size
Let’s see more Compatibility testing types
- Hardware : To check software to be compatible with different hardware configurations.
- Software: To check developed software to be compatible with other software For example: MS Word application should be compatible with other softwares like MS Outlook, MS Excel
- Network: Evaluation of performance of system in network with varying parameters such as Bandwidth, Operating speed, Capacity. Also check application in different networks with all parameters mentioned earlier.
- External Devices: To check compatibility of your software with different devices like USB port Devices and Scanners, Other media devices and Blue tooth.
- Versions of the software: Verifying you software application to be compatible with different versions of software. For instance checking your Microsoft Word to be compatible with Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1 , Windows 7 SP 2 and so on.
Following are two types of version checking as:
Backward compatibility Testing is to verify the behavior of the developed hardware or software with the older versions of the hardware or software.
And another types is Forward Compatibility testing
Forward compatibility Testing is to verify the behavior of the developed hardware or software with the newer versions of the hardware or software. check more on web testing